Friday, January 3, 2014

Back in the Game?

Hello, I hope everyone is doing well.  I haven't posted for so long probably no one checks my blog anymore.  I apologize in advance if this post gets really long.  There is so much to catch up on, if you just want to get to the knitting projects just skip to the bottom portion!

First, we are all doing well.  All of the girls are back in school, and doing well.  In fact our year is half over and I can't believe it has gone by so quickly.  I have a wonderful class this year I am thoroughly enjoying every day.  It is such a joy to be teaching Kindergarten, I learn so much from the kids I am supposed to be teaching.  They make me a better person and teacher.  

Second, I am halfway through my master's degree.  Wahoo! I usually don't toot my own horn but it has been really hard to get back into college thinking again, and I'm looking forward to being finished.  I am going through Western Governor's University, which is an online college and it has been hard to be self motivated and force myself to do homework every week.  But, it will be a good thing once I am finished, a better pay check and personal satisfaction that it is finished!  Hopefully I am finished by June, but I'll just have to see how it goes.  Wish me luck!  

Third, and most exciting thing is I'm a knitter!  I am been a long time follower of Judy at Patchwork Times.  She always shares the most amazing knitting projects and while I have crocheted stuff I have never knitted.  So I gave it a try in August.  I started with a dishcloth, which I did a little post about, and the first attempt was a total failure.  I didn't know you turned the work like crochet so I taught myself how to knit right handed and left handed.  It was really hard and I almost gave up.  Thankfully I didn't.  Next, I moved onto making a few scarves.  


This one is a long skinny scarf for my sister.  I should have taken a better picture before I gave it to her. It is made from Berroco Vintage, with a slight lacey feel.  She loves it and it fits her personality perfectly.  


I also became addicted to Ravelry!  I probably spend more time on there than Pinterest.  Anyway, this eternity scarf is Arbutus.  It was really fun to make, but I found I don't like short rows and it is a good thing the variegated yarn hides a lot of the mistakes!  It is made from Cascade Eco Highland Duo in Zebra.  It is so fluffy and warm I would wear it every day if I could.  

The real reason I wanted to learn how to knit was because I wanted a pair of knitted socks.  They looked really hard so I had to get a few projects under my belt before I attempted a pair.  


This is my first pair, yea, clap for me!  I was really excited to have a pair and I love them, except they are a bit loose and I like a little tighter sock.  I think it was the ribbing on the leg.  It did take a few hours for my feet to get used to the different feel they have.  I love the way they look and I can't wait to have enough so I can wear a pair every day of the week.  




This is my fourth pair, weird to go from the first pair to the fourth but I didn't get pics of the 2nd and 3rd.  The second pair was given to a friend because they didn't fit me, and the third pair didn't get a picture taken before they were taken over by my daughter!  We have the same shoe size and she believes I made them just for her.  Once they are washed they just might be hidden in my drawer where she will not find them!  Hehe I am so sneaky!  I really like the lower "no show" sock design they are just right to wear around the house and they work up pretty fast.  


These socks are my second attempt at a higher leg sock, and I wanted to put a little more detail in them. This is the right sox, with one cable on the outside edge, the left sock will have the cable on the outside as well.  It will run to the toe and then stop.  


It is still pretty fast but more interesting than straight stockinette stitch.  The more I work on them the more they look like a pair of old man socks.  I still like them and maybe the color choice will make it less likely Big L will leave them alone!  


This final picture is our first knitting accident.  I have learned my lesson to not leave my projects sitting on the floor.  Little A jumped off the couch and stepped right on a needle.  It went in pretty far at an angle.  You can see how far with the little arrow on the picture.  Poor girl cried and walked around with a wash cloth on her foot for most of the night.  Hopefully it will feel better in the morning.  It's only the third day of the year and I have already lost the mother of the year award.  

I know that was super long post, but I thought it best to get caught up all at once.  Check out Judy's blog for other knitting projects and check back soon to see what else is going on!   

6 comments:

  1. Your knitting projects are great! I love your socks and the cowl is beautiful. I'm clapping for you! It's impressive that you went from dishcloths to socks so quickly. I'm working my way up to socks too. I'm on a shawl before tackling my first pair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I think socks are fun and there are so many resources on the internet for making socks. Good luck with your shawl!

      Delete
  2. I have never made a pair of socks, yet. Cables are way out of my wheelhouse. Sorry about the owie. A sewing needle? Those hurt alot. My mother used to leave her needles in the arm of the rocking chair. Bad place to find them in your hand. I'm glad you are tooting your horn, you deserve the praise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, The needle was actually a size 2 double pointed knitting needle used for knitting my socks. She woke up this morning feeling much better! Thanks for the comment! When I'm finished with school I'm sure there will be a lot more horn blowing!

      Delete
  3. Ouch! Awesome socks...working on my first pair right now. I'm finding I have to keep reminding myself not to "turn my work" because I'm working with dpns and not straights lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your first sock! I had to start over a lot with my first one, and it still had a lot of mistakes, but I really like making socks,

      Delete